External PhD Candidates
AHM also offers the possibility of pursuing a (non-funded) ‘external’ PhD within the Research School. Applications for these positions are accepted throughout the year.
Although not provided a stipend, external PhD candidates are considered, for all extents and purposes, full doctoral candidates and have access to UvA facilities and resources.
Joining the research program as an externally or self funded PhD candidate
1. Read the AHM Research Program on the website under ‘Research’ and decide how your project fits in or contributes to the program. It is not necessary to fit into only one of the research groups, the proposal may relate to more than one group.
2. Choose a supervisor from the academic staff at AHM ("prof. dr." or "dr.") on the basis of the information provided in the research program. Contact her/him by sending an e-mail and a first short draft of your proposal (max. 1000 words). See under ‘Researchers’ on this site for the e-mail addresses.
3. Rewrite the proposal according to the guidelines below and the advice provided by the supervisor.
4. Ask your supervisor to write a short statement confirming her/his commitment to the project and an argumentation of how the project contributes to the AHM program (max. 250 words).
5. Send the proposal, including a c.v., together with your supervisor's statement by e-mail to the AHM office: email@example.com.